The finalists in all nine (9) categories of the first-ever Pan-African Tourism Leadership Awards have been announced by the Co-chairpersons of the awards committee; Prof. Marina Novelli and Ms. Judy Kepher-Gona, following criteria and process verification by Grant Thornton.
Winners will be announced at the Awards Ceremony to be held on 31 August, 2018 in Accra, Ghana. “The Awards seek to recognize and celebrate countries, governments, organisations and individuals for their innovation and outstanding accomplishments in tourism development across Africa,” said Professor Marina Novelli, Co-chairperson of the Awards Committee. “We believe the efforts of these finalists will continue to empower our local communities,” underscores Ms. Judy Kepher-Gona, her colleague Co-chairperson.
The three (3) short-listed finalists for each of the nine (9) categories are presented below in no particular order:
|1. Leading in Progressive Policies’ Award
· Namibia Ministry of Environment and Tourism
· Rwanda Development Board
· Seychelles Tourism Board/Tourism Ministry Responsible for Tourism
|6. Outstanding Tourism Transportation Award
· FlySafair – South Africa
· South African Airways – South Africa
· Ethiopian Airways – Ethiopia
|2. Outstanding Entrepreneurship Award
· Ikechi Uko, Akwaaba Travel Fair – Nigeria
· Discoveria – Nigeria
· Phezulu Safaris (PRIVATE) Limited – Zimbabwe
|7. Outstanding Africa Tourism Media Award
· Discoveria – Nigeria
· Katchie Nzama – South Africa
· Voyages Afriq Media Limited – Ghana
|3. Women in Leadership Award
· Carmen Nibigira – Burundi
· Rosette Chantal Rugamba – Rwanda
· Jacinta Nzioka – Kenya
|8. Championing Sustainability Award
· Botswana Tourism Board/Botswana Ministry Responsible for Tourism
· Seychelles Tourism Board
· Wilderness Safaris – Southern Africa
|4. Most Innovative Business Tourism Destination Award
· Kigali City – Rwanda
· South Africa
· Western Cape and Cape Town – South Africa
|9. Destination Africa – Lifetime Award
· Late Russel Friedman of Wilderness Safaris – South Africa
· Mandela and Nelson Mandela Foundation –South Africa
· Late Professor Wangari Muta Maathai – Kenya
|5. Outstanding Accommodation Facility/ Group Award
· & Beyond Ngorongoro Crater Lodge -Tanzania
· &Beyond Group – Southern Africa
· SABI SABI Private Game Reserve- South Africa
“The Africa Tourism Leadership Awards provide a novel approach to recognizing change-makers who inspire transformation across Africa’s tourism industry,” highlighted Ms. Christelle Grohmann of Grant Thornton.
To attend, please register at: www.tourismleadershipforum.africa or contact Ms:Tes Proos call on +27 (084) 682 7676 or +27 (011) 037 0332.
– – Ends – –
About Africa Tourism Leadership Forum
The Africa Tourism Leadership Forum (ATLF) is a Pan-African dialogue platform that brings together key stakeholders from Africa’s travel, tourism, hospitality and aviation sectors. It aims to provide continental platform for networking, sharing insights and devising strategies for sustainable travel and tourism development across the continent. It also focuses on enhancement of Africa’s brand equity. It is the first of its kind and will promote tourism as a major sustainable development pillar. Register at: www.tourismleadershipforum.africa to attend and for Awards’ nomination forms.
The Forum is being hosted by the Ghana Tourism Authority (GTA) under the auspices of the Ghana Ministry of Tourism, Arts and Culture, the event will take place on 30 and 31 August, 2018 at the Accra International Convention Centre, Ghana.
Ms. Tes Proos – Founder, Crystal Events Africa and Director, ATLF
Mobile: +27 84 682 7676 ½ Office: +27 (0) 21 551 3305 ½ +27 (0) 11 037 0332
Ms. Doris Delong
Tel: +233 20 222 2078 ½ +233 24 412 0001